Note: All information posted here was gleaned from the Indeed.com job listing. Please contact original recruiter with questions or to apply.
Tilray is a global leader in cannabis research, cultivation, processing and distribution. We aspire to lead, legitimize and define the future of our industry by building the world’s most trusted cannabis and hemp company. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry.Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Tilray’s values guide each employee’s work every day. Those values are:Act with Integrity – we rely on honest, transparent and trustworthy behavior and communicationBe Steadfast – we have an unwavering obligation to our patients, consumers, providers, colleagues and community to be sincere, accountable and responsive.Care – to achieve abundance in our crops and our lives, we must act with passion, focus and dedicationCollaborate – we believe that none of us is as smart as all of us and together we succeedPursue Excellence – we believe in our ability to spark innovation, achieve greatness, and overcome any risk, challenge or failure met along the way.
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Assistant General Counsel will provide broad support to Tilray’s cannabis and hemp business. You will be working alongside and in support of our highly experienced business team and legal professionals. The legal department is a great environment to learn and develop as an attorney.
Role and Responsibilities
A leader in the legal function focused on supporting the growth of the business across all categories which includes:
- Identifying and managing key legal/regulatory risks and opportunities in the marketing, distribution, import/export, and registration of medical and adult-use cannabis products, CBD and hemp products
- Supporting the negotiation and documentation of commercial transactions, M&A, and partnerships, weighing multiple legal and non-legal inputs
- Working closely with business units to ensure that all commercial activities are conducted in a strategic and compliant manner
- Staying up to date on regulatory framework and evolution to be able to counsel the business appropriately
- Providing guidance on regulatory interpretation and training on topics of interest and related to compliance
- Providing guidance and review of marketing, packaging, advertising, and product claims, and support the development of new and innovative product offerings
- Drafting, negotiating and providing legal counsel on a variety of commercial matters
- Dealing with complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related areas weighing multiple inputs
- Serving as an in-house generalist and attending to a wide variety of legal and quasi-legal matters on an as-needed basis; and
- Undertake special projects as required to support new business initiatives.
Working with broader legal team to ensure efficient and effective delivery of legal services in-house, including by:
- Maintaining template collections and intake systems, and training the business on their use;
- Implementing technology solutions to streamline legal administrative tasks
- Collaborating with and providing support to other members of the legal team;
- Managing work of outside counsel and efficient and cost-effective support; and
- Supporting the continuous improvement of legal processes to promote efficiency
- Contribute positively to the culture of the legal team and the company as a whole
- Due to the dynamic nature of the industry, the scope of your job may evolve and change by business demands and regulatory/ legal framework
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Must be licensed to practice law in the United States or any Canadian province
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience working in a top tier law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Leadership experience preferred
- Proven negotiation, drafting and analytical skills for various types of complex commercial contracts and transactions
- Prior experience providing legal counsel directly to business clients
- Must be relationship-oriented with excellent business judgment, strategic thinking, and project management skills, and prepared to work in a cross-functional, fast-paced team environment
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to brief and communicate complex issues in a succinct manner
Who You Are
- Excited to work in a fast paced and intellectually challenging environment
- Possess ability to handle competing priorities and quickly acclimate to unique regulatory environments
- Have a strong work ethic and be able to work well under pressure, independently and with minimal supervision
- Have flexibility to travel on an as-needed basis
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, to synthesize information from multiple sources, and to follow through and meet deadlines
- Resourceful and creative in your approach to problem solving
- Focused on pragmatic business advice and solutions
- Professional and collaborative with the ability to build and maintain trusted relationships with stakeholders
- Positive “can-do” attitude
- Excited to be supporting work across the global in a fast growing and evolving industry
Tilray welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please advise when submitting your application.Please note that Tilray does not authorize, engage, or sponsor any consultants, agencies or organizations that seek certain personal or financial information from you (e.g. passwords, login ids, credit card information). High Park does not charge any application, processing or onboarding fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process.When replying to emails, please ensure the sender name and email address match exactly. Please also ensure the Reply-To address matches the sending address exactly.If you are concerned about the authenticity of an email, letter, or call purportedly from, for, or on behalf of High Park, please send an email inquiry to email@example.com