Note: All information posted here was gleaned from the Indeed.com job listing. Please contact original recruiter with questions or to apply.
A career at Leafly combines the excitement of a start-up, the social purpose of a non-profit, and the growth opportunities of a corporation. Leafly salaries and benefit packages are very competitive, the perks are excellent, and we promise that you’ll never be bored. If you have what it takes, you’ll be joining a network of innovative, passionate individuals on a revolutionary mission to change the world for the better.
We are currently seeking a Software Engineering Manager based in our headquarters in Seattle, WA. We are a flexible and remote-friendly environment. Strong preference for candidates in the Seattle area.
Our Teams and Our Tech
We work in cross-functional squads, with product owners, designers, and engineers working side-by-side toward shared goals. We strive to maximize squad autonomy – standardizing tech, tools, and process just enough so that squads are accelerated rather than slowed. We aim for each squad to have the right mix of full-stack, web, and API developers, so that together they are equipped to solve whatever problems come their way. We look to each person to bring their expertise and passion to the table, as well as the ability to roll up their sleeves and help where it’s needed.
We are a ‘matrix management’ organization, where managers and their direct reports are not necessarily working on the same projects together. This gives our managers more insight and influence across the organization, and it allows our squad makeup to adjust more fluidly without disrupting reporting lines and relationships.
What We Are Looking For In This Role
Our Software Engineering Managers are hands-on. They grow both our people and our technology by being ‘in the work’, and writing code daily. We distinguish our Tech Lead role from our Software Engineering Manager role so that managers can focus on people + code, while tech leads focus on projects + code.You will support the personal development of your direct reports through regular 1:1s, pairing, actively reviewing PRs, ad hoc technical guidance, and by identifying career opportunities. You will support the advancement of our technology by working on product features, by solving tricky technical problems, and by influencing our overall direction, from architecture to tools to process.
Are you passionate about technology, products, and people? Do you like to be a ‘player coach’? Are you comfortable working and leading in a fast-paced startup environment? Then Leafly is looking for you!
- Technical Contribution
- Actively contribute to product development in one of our squads
- Regularly review PRs and guide day-to-day technical excellence
- Attend agile ceremonies within your squad
- Technical Leadership
- Advocate to maximize both product excellence and technical excellence
- Regularly collaborate with managers, tech leads, and leadership to inform decisions about people, processes, tools, and technology
- Participate in ad hoc working groups to address org-wide technical challenges
- Identify and seize opportunities that accelerate our people and our technology
- Employee growth and development
- Mentor and coach in regular 1:1s
- Guide goal-setting toward skills development and career growth
- Performance reviews
- 3+ years experience managing software engineers
- 5+ years experience shipping and supporting high-scale, high-performance web applications in a cloud environment
- Experience with the latest web technologies, tools, and practices; experience with more than one server-side technology is a plus
- Experience with microservices architecture
- Experience with agile squads and processes
- Expertise in HTTP, web application architecture, scalability, performance optimization, reliability, deployment, monitoring, security
Reports to: VP of Engineering in Seattle, WA
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.