Note: All information posted here was gleaned from the Linkedin.com job listing. Please contact original recruiter with questions or to apply.
Founded in 2015, Headset is the only company turning retail-derived data into real-time insights to help businesses easily understand the cannabis industry through data analytics and market intelligence, enabling them to make better-informed decisions, unlocking success and pushing the industry forward. Headset drives a competitive edge for retailers, vendors/producers, distributors, and companies looking to enter the market. This enables the supply chain to react to consumer demand, delivering the right product, right volume and allowing our customers, to provide top-notch consumer service and always keep up with trends.
Headset has approximately 45 employees and is headquartered in a vibrant and creative workspace in the Pioneer Square neighborhood in Seattle, WA. You can learn more about Headset at www.headset.io.
About The Principal Data Analyst Role
The Principal Data Analyst is responsible for conducting statistical analyses and forecasting to create our Insights data. Headset directly connects to the point-of-sale systems over 1,000 cannabis retailers across the US and Canada. We use these data connections to create daily, SKU level market forecasts for Adult Use cannabis sales in CA, CO, NV, WA, AB, BC, ON, and OR in real-time.
Within our team this particular role will be responsible for the maintenance and execution of the statistics-based methodologies used to transform the raw data supplied by retailers to project product sales across geographies within the United States and Canada. This includes forecasting total cannabis sales prior to state disclosures, applying inferential statistical and sampling methodologies to our retailer base to create market share forecasts, and owning our product normalization and product catalog.
The successful candidate will be a SQL rockstar and must be able to roll-up their sleeves, and work directly with the financial forecasting models and large amounts of data. The best candidate for this is passionate about their work, a creative problem solver, extremely detail-oriented, and expertly able to distill sophisticated statistical processes into easy to understand sound bites. In this role you must be able to solve complex forecasting problems with simple and scalable solutions all while maintaining a strong analytical rigor.
- Forecast total adult use cannabis sales in US and Canadian markets.
- Assess quality, accuracy, completeness and statistical robustness of various data models and statistical methods utilized.
- Analyze our store sample in new markets to determine sample needs to launch market reads.
- Cross-functional work with our data engineering team to take forecast procedures into our production Snowflake environment.
- Maintain our current process which creates daily forecasts for over 200k products across the US and Canada.
Product Normalization/Catalog Management
- Manage the process that normalizes over 1000 disparate product catalogs into a clear and concise product catalog. There are no UPCs in cannabis, thus all products at every retailer need cataloged. Currently our process normalizes over 4 million disparate products into 500k catalog SKUs.
- Manage our data entry team (currently 15 off-shore resources and 1 on-shore resource). This includes creating an maintaining documentation and training materials for them.
- Liaise with our customer success team to keep our catalog up-to-date and address customer concerns.
- Oversee catalog clean-up and catalog management projects.
- Implement prevention and detection controls to ensure data integrity.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to sampling and statistical procedures implemented.
- Communicate our data processes with current and prospective clients, including creating blog posts, wiki-articles, and training materials to ensure our customers understand our data processes.
- Make presentations to target audiences (including internal) and at industry functions to educate and inspire prospects on Headset’s Data Intelligence platforms.
- Assist in writing monthly market reports and blog posts examining cannabis retail data trends.
- Bachelor’s Business, Finance, Economics, Econometrics, or Biostatistics
- 8+ years of analytics experience in CPG, retail, or related industry
- 8+ years experience on projects where you developed and implemented validation strategies for statistical models
- 4+ year experience in retail or CPG analytics
- 4+ years managing cross functional projects including experience with project management tools like Trello, Asana, Jira, etc.
- Expert level proficiency in SQL and Excel
- Advanced proficiency in Python, R, or Stata
- Advanced knowledge of inferential statistical methods
- Experience with market basket analytics
- Master’s degree in Finance, Economics, or MBA
- Experience creating syndicated data sets
- 4+ years experience consulting
At Headset, we are a group of people, working to fulfill a common mission. How we act – with each other and our customers – embodies the five core values we believe in:
- Ownership – “Find the holes and fix them; Dedication”
- Trust – “Integrity; Radical transparency”
- Empathy – “Deep understanding; Team before self”
- Data – “Data driven to the core; Measurement is critical”
- Growth – “Speed is critical; Keep it simple”
Is this you? Do you share our values? Does this sound like the kind of environment where you’ll feel inspired to do your best and most meaningful work? If the answer is yes, we’d love to hear from you. We offer a competitive base salary, incentive bonus for outstanding performance, a generous stock option package and great benefits. Headset is an equal opportunity employer.
How you match
Criteria provided by job poster
Level of education
- Bachelor’s Degree
Contact the job poster
Liz Connors 2nd
Director of Analytics at HeadsetSend InMail
- Computer Software