Note: All information posted here was gleaned from the Leafly.com Job Opportunity Page. Please contact original recruiter with questions or to apply.
Leafly is the most trusted brand in cannabis with the largest audience: millions of people around the world start their cannabis journey with Leafly, and it’s because we are not your typical cannabis company.
Compliance and innovation are equal parts of Leafly’s DNA.
We are shaping the global cannabis industry for the better, accessible to everyone, from the cannabis curious to the everyday consumer, building the world’s destination for everyone to discover, find and buy cannabis.
If you are interested in a rapidly growing, nascent space that requires forward-thinking and continuous innovation to lead, look no further.
A career at Leafly combines the excitement and innovation of a start-up with the growth opportunities of a major corporation.
Leafly salaries and benefit packages are competitive, and we promise that you will never be bored: we focus relentlessly on solving challenges for our customers and having fun doing it in our collaborative work environment.
If you have the skills and desire, you will be joining a global team of innovative, passionate individuals on a revolutionary mission to change the world for the better.
What We Are Looking For In This Role
The market for products serving cannabis consumers is exploding, and we’re looking for an experienced editor to help Leafly readers find the gear that’s right for them.
Do you create mental lists in your head about the best strains to help you create mental lists?
Are you guilty of nerding out on the latest gadgets, accessories, and cannabis technology advancements?
Does your editorial background include running even-handed comparisons of eerily similar products and communicating the results to readers?
If so, there might be a place for you on Leafly’s industry-leading editorial staff.
We’re seeking an experienced editor with an understanding of fair review practices and a finely honed sense of what cannabis consumers are looking for and how to help them find it.
The ideal candidate should be knowledgeable about how different consumers use different kinds of products, and be a relentless advocate for finding people the best strains, products, and accessories for their lifestyle.
While reviews, recommendations, lists, roundups, and other consumer-facing products will dominate this editor’s day-to-day, we’re awarding bonus points to candidates who are also equipped to cover industry topics and trends from a hard news perspective.
Our dream hire will have a familiarity with the cannabis industry and how the tools associated with it are changing, with a background in consumer technology reporting a big plus.
Successful candidates will also have the ability to develop succinct, accessible consumer resources with accuracy, possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, bring an unmatched work ethic to the table, and have a vision for driving Leafly News forward in a way that aligns with the company’s overall vision and roadmap in their capacity as an editor.
Here are some of your day-to-day responsibilities:
- Lead Leafly’s products and brands editorial coverage from ideation to execution while incorporating and tracking key KPIs that align with our overall business objectives
- Develop recurring, easily replicable features and formats to explore new products and share their virtues and drawbacks with readers
- Pitch, write, assign, edit, and publish stories at a high quality and high cadence
- Monitor trends in the cannabis industry that impact consumers and companies alike and develop a Rolodex
- Establish and evolve methodologies for testing and comparing cannabis products and accessories, including flower, concentrates, glassware, and consumer electronics
- Build a diverse and geographically widespread stable of freelance writers and product reviewers to keep Leafly’s product and review content to readers wherever they are
- Manage a small internal team of product reviewers and writers, including one or more direct reports and numerous freelancers
- Manage a dedicated budget to support departmental goals and maximize resources by prioritizing projects and making smart, strategic decisions
- Work with office managers to coordinate receiving, storage, and inventory management for cannabis products and accessories
- Work with SEO, data, photography, video, marketing, sales, and product teams to evolve Leafly’s products and brand-focused content and maximize its impact
- At least five years’ experience working in digital publishing, with an emphasis on product reviews or service journalism
- Experience with digital media and storytelling (familiarity with multimedia approaches to content, especially video, is a must)
- Experience managing direct reports and developing your own team of freelancers
- Demonstrated ability to maintain poise under stress and to respond to requests quickly and logically
- Strong understanding of testing methodologies and best practices, including setting benchmarks and identifying use-case scenarios
- Experience tracking and executing KPIs (e.g. clickthrough/conversion rates) through analytics software or other reporting programs
- Knowledge of the cannabis industry and products
- Good understanding of social media platforms/copy and SEO best practices
- Strong understanding of digital publishing best practices and journalistic ethics
- A degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or other relevant areas of study
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Drive tools, and ability to work closely with others via communication tools such as Slack, Trello, and the Atlassian suite
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills, as well as a command of AP style (with the exception of a ride or die loyalty to the Oxford comma)
- Willingness to always be learning, adapting, and being open to new ideas
- Meticulously organized with strong attention to detail (if your cover letter or resume has typos in it, you’re not making a strong first impression)
- Experience managing/staying on budget
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment
- Experience with WordPress or a similar CMS system is preferred
- Fun to work with (we are a cannabis company, after all)
Please include a resume, cover letter, and two samples of writing and/or editing—one that demonstrates an example of a complex topic you’ve broken down for a general audience, and one that best displays your voice, style, and capabilities. The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.