Note: All information posted here was gleaned from the Leafly.com Job Opportunity Page. Please contact original recruiter with questions or to apply.
Leafly is the most trusted brand in cannabis with the largest audience: millions of people around the world start their cannabis journey with Leafly, and it’s because we are not your typical cannabis company.
Compliance and innovation are equal parts of Leafly’s DNA.
We are shaping the global cannabis industry for the better, accessible to everyone, from the cannabis curious to the everyday consumer, building the world’s destination for everyone to discover, find and buy cannabis.
If you are interested in a rapidly growing, nascent space that requires forward-thinking and continuous innovation to lead, look no further.
A career at Leafly combines the excitement and innovation of a start-up with the growth opportunities of a major corporation.
Leafly salaries and benefit packages are competitive, and we promise that you will never be bored: we focus relentlessly on solving challenges for our customers and having fun doing it in our collaborative work environment.
If you have the skills and desire, you will be joining a global team of innovative, passionate individuals on a revolutionary mission to change the world for the better.
What We Look For In Our News Editor
As Leafly’s News Editor you will be responsible for executing our breaking news, political coverage, and industry-related content across Leafly News and other touchpoints where needed. Sitting at the crossroads of cannabis, politics, economics, social justice, and cultural change, this position at the world’s largest cannabis news outlet provides one of the most unique and exciting opportunities available in the media industry today.
We’re looking for a sharp-minded news editor who can both ideate and execute.
Leafly is a dynamic startup in the world’s fastest-growing industry.
As News Editor, you will both cover this history-changing moment and help shape the evolving language of this era.
By the nature of the position, you will be a thought leader in the space.
There are enormous opportunities here.
You’ll work with our senior editors and data/SEO teams to conceptualize Leafly’s news coverage, including what we cover, how, why, when, to whom we’re delivering our cannabis news, and in what forms.
Finding and recruiting a diverse network of freelance writers in legal cannabis states is also a critical part of the job.
On the execution side, you’ll be expected to stay on top of each day’s breaking cannabis news via a wide variety of digital platforms, and make split-second decisions about Leafly’s coverage.
Story triage is a big part of the job.
You’ll also be involved in frontline story assigning, line editing, revising, fact-checking, copyediting, and building stories for online publication.
What We Are Looking For In This Role
Leafly’s News Editor will work collaboratively with our in-house staff and freelancers to produce engaging stories for our diverse audience, educating them through articles, videos, infographics, podcasts, and other media that will help enlighten millions of new and existing cannabis patients and consumers.
We need an experienced editor with a sharp eye for stories and an understanding of content strategy.
Applicants should be self-starters, yet unafraid to get their hands dirty and pitch in wherever needed. Successful candidates for this position should have a strong understanding of federal and state political systems, courts and the legal system, and the history of cannabis prohibition.
Successful candidates will also possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, bring an unmatched work ethic to the table, and have a vision for driving Leafly News forward in a way that aligns with the company’s overall vision.
Here are some of your day-to-day responsibilities:
- Manage editorial execution of breaking news, politics, and cannabis industry content
- Ideate, write, assign, edit, and publish stories at a high quality and high cadence
- Establish professional relationships with reputable, authoritative contacts in politics and the cannabis legal field
- Build and manage a roster of freelance writers to help generate political, economic, social/cultural, and science/tech consumer-focused content
- Operate within a dedicated budget to support departmental goals and maximize resources by prioritizing projects and suggesting smart, strategic decisions
- Work with Leafly’s SEO, data, marketing, and media teams to evolve Leafly’s news content and maximize its impact
- At least 3-5 years of experience working in journalism/content creation, editing, and publishing
- Experience with digital media and storytelling (familiarity with multimedia approaches to content, including videos, podcasts, or infographics, is a big plus)
- Experience managing/working with a team of freelancers
- Demonstrated ability to maintain poise under stress and to respond to requests quickly and thoughtfully
- Strong understanding of political, legal, and economic topics
- Knowledge of cannabis history and basic understanding of/familiarity with cannabis science and products
- Good understanding of social media platforms/copy and SEO best practices
- Strong understanding of digital publishing best practices
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Drive tools, and ability to work closely with others via communication tools such as Slack and Trello
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills, as well as a command of AP style (with the exception of exhibiting ride-or-die loyalty to the Oxford comma)
- Willingness to always be learning and adapting
- Meticulously organized with strong attention to detail (if your cover letter or resume has typos in it, you’re not making a strong first impression)
- Experience staying on budget
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment
- Experience with WordPress or a similar CMS system
- Fun to work with (we are a cannabis company, after all)
Please include a resume, cover letter, and two samples of writing and/or editing.
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.