This notice was received via e-mail from the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) November 4, 2019.
The Department of Health provides this quarterly communication to focus on topics relevant to store owners, certified consultants and store staff who use the Medical Marijuana Authorization Database. For additional training references and information, please visit the Medical Marijuana Retail Store Setup website.
New law to help patients renew their registration in the database
Effective July 28, 2019, House Bill 1094 established compassionate care renewals. A patient renewing under compassionate care, is exempt from the photograph requirement of the recognition card creation process. In response, the Department has:
- Modified database functionality. The system now supports two types of renewals: 1) a standard renewal which requires the patient to be physically present at the store for the photograph; and, 2) a compassionate care renewal which exempts the patient from the photograph requirement. Self-guided training is available now: How do I renew a patient or designated provider’s recognition card?
- Revised the Medical Marijuana Authorization Form. A healthcare practitioner who determines their patient would suffer severe hardship can now indicate eligibility on the patient’s authorization form. This is an indicator to the certified consultant which type of renewal to process (standard or compassionate care). The form requirements remain the same (complete, signed and printed on tamper-resistant paper containing the RCW 69.51A.030 logo in the bottom right corner). Learn more…
Recognition card fee invoices have been mailed (payment due 11/28/2019)
Under RCW 69.51A.230, the Department must charge a one dollar fee for each initial and renewal recognition card issued by a marijuana retailer with a medical marijuana endorsement. If you did not receive an invoice and you know your store has issued recognition cards, please request a copy or confirm the mailing address we have on file by contacting the program at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-236-4819 (option 1).
Marijuana retailer is not to charge sales tax on the $1 recognition card fee
According to a new fact sheet distributed by the Department of Revenue, the marijuana retailer is not to charge sales tax on the $1 medical marijuana recognition card fee – see Updated Fact Sheet.
Happy birthday time means time to renew
Happy Birthday to all our November Certified Consultants! Thank you for the service you provide to Washington’s cannabis patients. Some good reminders:
- Consultant certifications expire each year on the applicants birthday.
- 10-hours of continuing education is required each year before renewing.
- Keep your address, phone number or email updated by completing the contact information change form.
- Renew credential online before expiration, or, if expired, renew by mail or in-person.
- Call customer service at 360-236-4700 with questions about your credential.
New publication available
The Department of Health recently created a new brochure that outlines basic marijuana laws – A Consumer Guide: Washington State Laws. Retail stores may print and distribute to customers. Now available in Spanish!
See highlights and updates about the Medical Marijuana Program on our website.
Need database support?
Phone: 360-236-4819 (option 1) or 1-877-303-3869