Note: All information posted here was gleaned from the Indeed.com job listing. Please contact original recruiter with questions or to apply.
Leafly is the most trusted brand in cannabis with the largest audience: millions of people around the world start their cannabis journey with Leafly, and it’s because we are not your typical cannabis company.
Compliance and innovation are equal parts of Leafly’s DNA.
We are shaping the global cannabis industry for the better, accessible to everyone, from the cannabis curious to the everyday consumer, building the world’s destination for everyone to discover, find and buy cannabis.
If you are interested in a rapidly growing, nascent space that requires forward-thinking and continuous innovation to lead, look no further.
A career at Leafly combines the excitement and innovation of a start-up with the growth opportunities of a major corporation.
Leafly salaries and benefit packages are competitive, and we promise that you will never be bored: we focus relentlessly on solving challenges for our customers and having fun doing it in our collaborative work environment.
If you have the skills and desire, you will be joining a global team of innovative, passionate individuals on a revolutionary mission to change the world for the better.
What We Look For In Our Senior Health and Science Content Managers
As the Senior Health & Science Content Manager for Leafly, you will be responsible for managing and executing our health, science, and wellness-related content across Leafly News and other touchpoints where needed.
We’re looking for someone who can navigate through the latest cannabis research and translate these studies into easily understandable articles that educate/inform our visitors who are new to cannabis and want to learn how it can impact their health and wellness.
What We Are Looking For In This Role
The ideal candidate will be ready to manage a team comprised of both in-house staff and freelancers to work on engaging storytelling for our diverse audience.
They will be eager to use articles, resources, videos, gifs, infographics, podcasts, and other platforms and tools to help enlighten millions of new and existing cannabis consumers.
We’re looking for skills beyond the traditional newsroom reporting (although that background is helpful!)—if you’re experienced in creating the type of informational content Wikipedia or WebMD presents, only with a more engaging/entertaining voice/tone, this is the perfect job for you.
At the crossroads of cannabis, tech, education, and lifestyle, this position at the world’s largest cannabis news outlet provides one of the most unique and exciting opportunities available in the media industry today.
We need an experienced editor with a sharp eye for stories, a proven track record of reporting on science/health topics, and a strong understanding of content strategy.
Applicants should be self-starters, yet unafraid to get their hands dirty and pitch in wherever needed.
Successful candidates will also have the ability to develop succinct, accessible consumer resources with accuracy, possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, bring an unmatched work ethic to the table, and have a vision for driving Leafly News forward in a way that aligns with the company’s overall vision and roadmap in their capacity as an editor.
Here are some of your day-to-day responsibilities:
- Monitor the world of cannabis research and translate cutting-edge science and health findings into content that’s accessible to a lay audience
- Interrogate studies and journal articles beyond headlines and abstracts to find important details
- Lead the editorial execution of health, science, and wellness content
- Ideate, write, assign, edit, and publish stories at a high quality and high cadence
- Establish a list of reputable, authoritative contacts in the research and medical fields upon which we can build a collaborative relationship
- Build a list of freelance writers to help generate science and health-based content
- Manage a small internal team of editors, including one or more direct reports and numerous freelancers
- Manage a dedicated budget to support departmental goals and maximize resources by prioritizing projects and making smart, strategic decisions
- Work with SEO, data, photography, video, marketing, sales, and product teams to evolve Leafly’s health, science, and wellness content and maximize its impact
- At least five years’ editorial experience in a digital publishing environment
- Experience with digital media and storytelling, including familiarity with multimedia approaches to content like videos, podcasts, and infographics
- A track record of breaking down complicated health and science topics into short, reader-friendly stories
- A demonstrated interest in the cannabis industry and the science underlying it
- Experience managing direct reports, as well as a team of freelancers
- Demonstrated ability to maintain poise under stress and to respond to requests quickly and logically
- Strong understanding of health and science topics; background in or understanding of pertinent topics like chemistry or botany a plus
- Knowledge of cannabis science and health benefits
- Good understanding of social media platforms/copy and SEO best practices
- Strong understanding of digital publishing best practices
- A degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Health, Science, or other relevant area of study
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Drive tools, and ability to work closely with others via communication tools such as Slack, Trello, and the Atlassian suite
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills, as well as a command of AP style (with the exception of a ride or die loyalty to the Oxford comma)
- Willingness to always be learning, adapting, and being open to new ideas
- Meticulously organized with strong attention to detail (if your cover letter or resume has typos in it, you’re not making a strong first impression)
- Experience managing/staying on budget
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment
- Experience with WordPress or a similar CMS system is preferred
- Fun to work with (we are a cannabis company, after all)
- Please include a resume, cover letter, and two samples of writing and/or editing—one that demonstrates an example of a complex topic you’ve broken down for a general audience, and one that best displays your voice, style, and capabilities.
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.