Note: All information posted here was gleaned from the Linkedin.com job listing. Please contact original recruiter with questions or to apply.
Soulshine Development Group is looking for a strong Chief Legal Officer (CLO) who will act as the company’s primary legal advisor and partner with leaders across multiple lines of business to achieve prioritized strategic corporate objectives.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the CLO will be responsible for leading corporate, strategic and tactical legal initiatives, as well as overseeing the work of outside counsel.
Our CLO must possess outstanding leadership skills, exceptional judgment and strong business acumen.
- Provide vision, direction, and collaborative leadership on the company’s legal and compliance initiatives.
- Own strategy and counsel for all general legal matters, including financial and securities regulations, compliance, commercial contracts, licenses and permits, mergers and acquisitions, litigation, and others.
- Ensure product and service offerings comply with applicable local, state, federal and legal requirements.
- Work cross-functionally across the organization to manage legal risk.
- Support the negotiation and documentation of all mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, financing activities, strategic transactions and partnerships.
- Direct and manage outside counsel representing the company in commercial transactions and litigation matters, and oversee management of the legal budget and allocation of resources.
- Develop and lead internal audit and corporate compliance programs.
- Keep abreast of new laws, regulations, and relevant industry trends, and proactively identify company risks and cost-conscious mitigating actions.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements.
- Undertake special projects as required to support new business initiatives.
- Contribute positively to the culture of the leadership team and the company as a whole.
- Maintain governance policies and practices, including the company’s governance guidelines and committee charters to ensure compliance with regulatory and listing requirements, and best practices.
- Collaborate with internal business teams to develop corporate policies, procedures and programs.
- Responsible for corporate interactions with the relevant local, state and federal governmental bodies.
- Advise on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Law degree from an accredited U.S. law school.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience working in a top tier law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Admission to at least one US state bar and member in good standing (WA a plus).
- Experience in the cannabis industry, including working with Washington State I-502 and the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board.
- Motivated to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, ever-changing and often ambiguous environment.
- Experience supervising and coordinating outside legal counsel and other advisors.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to distill complex legal concepts into simple, actionable recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complicated problems and deliver results in challenging situations.
- Experience managing multiple projects without compromising quality.
- Exceptional business judgement and the ability to build relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to readily pivot and/or adapt to changes within an organization, industry or the law.
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills concerning legal, financial, and commercial transactions.
- Solid understanding of financial metrics and profit and loss fundamentals.
- Experience and knowledge in risk management and evaluation.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytic skills.
- Innovative and forward-thinking problem solver who excels at translating corporate visions into actionable goals and developing corporate strategies and policies to achieve such goals.
- History of effectively serving a demanding client base in a complex and dynamic work environment.
- Experience managing securities, corporate governance and corporate finance matters, as well as experience working with financial and securities regulatory agencies.
- Ability to independently deliver results, multi-task and prioritize work based on company/client priorities and strategic objectives.