Note: All information posted here was gleaned from the Linkedin.com job listing. Please contact original recruiter with questions or to apply.
Tilray is a global leader in cannabis research, cultivation, processing and distribution.
We aspire to lead, legitimize and define the future of our industry by building the world’s most trusted cannabis company.
We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Come join us!
The Senior Counsel – Compliance will lead the compliance efforts, and ensure the organization meets and maintains compliance and legal objectives.
You will be responsible for the design, development, implementation and assessment of a comprehensive global ethics and compliance program.
We are looking for a leader who is comfortable building relationships throughout the organization, has the presence to exercise influence to achieve results, and the ability to interact confidently to translate difficult legal principles into practical business solutions.
You will be working alongside and in support of our highly experienced business team and legal professionals.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a lawyer who enjoys the challenge of an ever-changing business, who has strong interpersonal skills, and a thirst for learning and growing.
Roles and responsibilities
- Identify compliance program needs, draft and maintain appropriate written policies, procedures, guidelines, training and related communications
- Lead compliance related initiatives including organization of and facilitation of training
- Collaborate to assess new projects and/or changes in process, policy, or technology, to identify controls and risks, to successfully communicate any changes needed and to develop any ongoing audit processes to ensure compliance
- Proactively identify and discuss emerging compliance issues with company leadership
- Manage and monitor processes around managing third-party risk, including due diligence on suppliers and business partners
- Provide legal advice and guidance on key compliance risk areas, such as anti-corruption and anti-bribery, and conflicts of interest
- Develop standard contract language addressing key compliance risk areas
- Monitor performance and effectiveness of the compliance program and related activities on an ongoing basis through development, collection, and analysis of key metrics
- Monitor the evolving jurisdictional laws globally and industry guidelines affecting the company’s overall compliance program
- Conduct, guide and participate in legal and ethical risk assessments and audits, and develop and implement risk mitigation plans
- Work closely with the senior management and human resources to evaluate and respond to suspected compliance violations, and for consistent investigations, enforcement, disclosure, and remedial action protocols
- Collaborate with and provide support to other members of the legal team
- Support the continuous improvement of legal processes to promote efficiency
- Contribute positively to the culture of the legal team and the company as a whole
- Due to the dynamic nature of the industry, the scope of your job may evolve and change by business demands
- Law Degree top tier U.S. law school
- Minimum 5-10 years of experience working in a top tier law firm and/or in-house legal department focused on compliance program management and associated processes in a global operating environment
- Prefer experience managing people
- Experience with a compliance control framework, including compliance testing, monitoring, surveillance and governance systems.
- Demonstrated success developing and executing new processes and continual maintenance of compliance and legal objectives
- Experience conducting and leading internal investigations
- Experience in developing, drafting, promulgating, and maintaining policies, standards, and procedures in key risk areas
- Experience in developing, implementing and/or enhancing in-house training programs
- Experience with information and records governance
Who you are
- Exceptional communicator with proven ability to facilitate discussions and issue resolution
- Ability to communicate across diverse geographies and cultures, and with various levels of the organization
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, negotiation, drafting, and communication skills
- Excited to work in a fast paced and intellectually challenging environment
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, to synthesize information from multiple sources, and to follow through and meet deadlines
- Have exceptional judgement with the ability to cope with competing priorities
- You are resourceful and creative in your approach to problem solving
- Focused on pragmatic business advice and solutions
- Positive “can-do” attitude
- Legal Services