It’s time to get your yard in shape, Tacoma, and the most economic and sustainable way we know how is to utilize the Tacoma Tool Library.
The library provides low cost access to shared tools and other durable goods, and encourages re-use, repair, and reduced consumption.
In addition, it hosts a safe community space for learning how to use household tools, and empowers Tacoma residents to care for their homes and neighborhoods, house by house and block by block.
The Tacoma Tool Library’s goals is to benefit all Tacoma area residents by reducing waste and making tools available at low cost.
It especially benefits residents with barriers to basic tool use, either because of income or lack of knowledge/confidence about tools.
Tacoma Tool Library has developed the following “Principles of Action” that guide their work. They are committed to:
- Fostering a sense of community and mutual support
- Strengthening community resilience and self reliance
- Supporting inclusivity of participation and accessibility to tools, particularly for people with less economic resources and people who aren’t traditionally encouraged to use tools
- Prioritizing sustainability through waste prevention, reuse, repair, and re-purposing
- Encouraging skill building and empowerment through tool use and maintenance education
- Participating in the Sharing Economy.
This project is all about sustainability—promoting environmental sustainability through shared resources, and promoting a sustainable community by maintaining a place for people to learn and engage each other in improvement projects.
It encourages individuals who want to participate in waste reduction and care for their homes and neighborhoods, and also creates a community network that promotes sharing and mutual support.
Tacoma Tool Library is fiscally sponsored by Zero Waste Washington.
Saturday – May 4, 2019 at 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
754 South 38th St, Tacoma, Washington 98418
The Tacoma Tool Library is hosting its Semi-Annual Garage Sale on Saturday, May 4th featuring a wide variety of tools such as hand saws, drills, sanders, and a large selection of yard tools.
*The Tool Library will also still be open during regular hours during the sale, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.