Note: All information posted here was gleaned from the Linkedin.com job listing. Please contact original recruiter with questions or to apply.
Based in Seattle and reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the General Counsel is responsible for the overall legal affairs of Leafly. The individual is responsible for the provision of leadership and sound management as an officer and member of the senior leadership team. It is expected that this new executive will acquire an intimate understanding of the organizational dynamics and business operations of Leafly, work closely with the company’s senior leadership team and board, and oversee the coordination of outside counsel. This individual will provide senior management with sound legal reasoning and strategic insight into issues regarding the protection of assets and company earnings. The General Counsel will also proactively identify potential areas of concern or risk and devise creative solutions that strike an effective balance between cost and return, risk management, and long- and short-term business and legal considerations.
The General Counsel is directly accountable for the following activities:
- Serve as key legal advisor to all levels of management, including the executive team and the board of directors, on all major business transactions, including assessing and advising on acquisitions, business structures and capital markets.
- Participate in the definition and development of the long-term strategic direction of the company, and the resulting policies, procedures and programs.
- Advising on product development and commercial agreements undertaken by the company.
- Supporting the Board, committee chairs and members of the senior management team in ensuring effective corporate governance, including developing the corporation’s approach to governance.
- Driving innovation through strategic partnerships and development of products, services, and intellectual property portfolio.
- Overseeing Leafly’s corporate compliance program to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and with Leafly policies and procedures.
- Building legal operations, including recruiting, developing and retaining a legal team and managing external counsel to maximize efficiency and quality.
- Representing Leafly in negotiations and discussions and other dealings with third party regulators, government authorities, industry associations, shareholder groups, customers, consultants and other stakeholders.
The General Counsel will have the following additional responsibilities:
- Protecting the company’s rights and reputation in all financial, contractual and other arrangements.
- Promoting a favorable image of Leafly by maintaining effective external relationships.
- Advising the Board on appropriate legal and governance issues.
- Authorizing the commencement, defense or settlement of litigation and other dispute resolution proceedings.
- Reviewing and assessing Leafly’s policies, procedures and business standards to ensure ongoing appropriateness.
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
- Built strong working relationships, credibility and trust with the board of directors, senior management, and legal team, as well as external legal counsel and stakeholders.
- Established a reputation for innovation and collaboration; proactively working as a business focused General Counsel.
- Helped drive and implement a vision of the legal team as trusted advisors and business contributors.
- JD from an accredited law school and admitted to the bar in any US jurisdiction.
- Must be a seasoned and experienced lawyer with a minimum of 12 years of professional experience.
- Exposure to a wide range of legal issues and disciplines, ideally in a fast-moving SaaS company, including but not limited to: technology/software transactions; corporate/securities law; M&A; promotional/advertising; regulatory.
- Strategic understanding of business management and the ability to contribute to commercial and business issues.
- Proven ability to build, develop and motivate a team of best-in-class legal talent.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Should have international experience and have handled a number of cross-border commercial transactions.
- Proven ability to deal with complex commercial legal issues.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. Leafly is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status will receive consideration for employment. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process or employment with us, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.
Please, no phone calls/no recruiting agencies.
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.