Note: All information here was gleaned from the Leafly.com job listing. Please contact Leafly with questions or to apply.
A career at Leafly combines the excitement of a start-up, the social purpose of a non-profit, and the growth opportunities of a corporation. Leafly salaries and benefit packages are very competitive, the office perks are excellent, and we promise that you’ll never be bored. If you have what it takes, you’ll be joining a global network of innovative, passionate individuals on a revolutionary mission to change the world for the better.
What you’ll be doing:
As the Senior Health & Science Editor for Leafly, you will be responsible for managing and executing our health, science, and wellness-related content across Leafly News and other touchpoints where needed. We’re looking for someone who can navigate through the latest cannabis research and translate these studies into easily understandable articles that educate/inform our visitors who are new to cannabis and want to learn how it can impact their health and wellness. Manage a team comprised of both in-house staff and freelancers to work on engaging storytelling for our diverse audience that educates them through articles, resources, videos, gifs, infographics, podcasts, and other platforms that will help enlighten millions of new and existing cannabis consumers. At the crossroads of cannabis, tech, education, and lifestyle, this position at the world’s largest cannabis news outlet provides one of the most unique and exciting opportunities available in the media industry today.
We need an experienced editor with a sharp eye for stories and an understanding of content strategy. Applicants should be self-starters, yet unafraid to get their hands dirty and pitch in wherever needed. Successful candidates will also have the ability to develop succinct, accessible consumer resources with accuracy, possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, bring an unmatched work ethic to the table, and have a vision for driving Leafly News forward in a way that aligns with the company’s overall vision and roadmap in their capacity as an editor.
- Lead the editorial execution of health, science, and wellness content
- Ideate, write, assign, edit, and publish stories at a high quality and high cadence
- Establish a list of reputable, authoritative contacts in the research and medical fields upon which we can build a collaborative relationship
- Build a list of freelance writers to help generate science and health-based content
- Manage a small but growing internal team of editors, including one or more direct reports and numerous freelancers
- Manage a dedicated budget to support departmental goals and maximize resources by prioritizing projects and making smart, strategic decisions
- Work with SEO, data, photography, video, marketing, sales, and product teams to evolve Leafly’s health, science, and wellness content and maximize its impact
- At least five years’ experience working in content creation/journalism, editing, and publishing (preferably at a digital publication or magazine)
- Experience with digital media and storytelling (familiarity with multimedia approaches to content, including videos, podcasts, or infographics, is preferred)
- Experience managing direct reports, as well as a team of freelancers
- Demonstrated ability to maintain poise under stress and to respond to requests quickly and logically
- Strong understanding of health and science topics
- Knowledge of cannabis science and health benefits
- Good understanding of social media platforms/copy and SEO best practices
- Strong understanding of digital publishing best practices
- A degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Health, Science, or other relevant area of study
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Drive tools, and ability to work closely with others via communication tools such as Slack, Trello, and the Atlassian suite
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills, as well as a command of AP style
- Ride or die loyalty to the Oxford comma
- Willingness to always be learning, adapting, and being open to new ideas
- Meticulously organized with strong attention to detail (if your cover letter or resume has typos in it, you’re not making a strong first impression)
- Experience managing/staying on budget
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment
- Experience with WordPress or a similar CMS system is preferred
- Fun to work with (we are a cannabis company, after all)
Please include a resume, cover letter, and two samples of writing and/or editing—one that demonstrates an example of a complex topic you’ve broken down for a general audience, and one that best displays your voice, style, and capabilities.
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.
Categories: cannabis industry, Jobs, Leafly
Leave a Reply